Young Can Cook!
A summer cooking program at Village Montessori Day Camp Manalapan
It’s been said before: Cooking with your kids is still the best way to teach them about good nutrition and encourage healthy eating habits for life. At Village Montessori Day Camp we take a well-rounded approach to cooking where our young cooks will:
- Recognize that safety comes first in the kitchen.
- Learn to care for themselves and their food preparation environment – washing hands, putting on an apron, cleaning up, etc.
- Get hands on experience with handling the ingredients and then tasting the final product
- Be introduced to new nomenclature, such as, kitchen tools and the ingredients used
- Apply simple math concepts in the form of measuring the ingredients accurately
- Appreciate the origin of the food they prepare and the people who prepared them
- Practice grace and courtesy
Summer Tuesdays will have our young cooks preparing and making snack and lunch in the morning (see calendar). Half day campers will take home the lunch they prepared and to be eaten at home.